Giving Usagi the Bhepin Treatment

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

Giving Usagi the Bhepin Treatment

Postby Comartemis » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Or, "How to Make The Senshi into Badasses".

A little story before I get down to business, my friends. I was browsing through TV Tropes the other day and on a whim decided to take a look at the trope page for Took a Level In Badass. To my surprise, I found that someone had apparently added a fanfiction section since the last time I'd been there, and in what was absolutely no surprise at all, the first entry mentioned under that section was Charles Bhepin's version of Shinji Ikari from Evangelion.

For those of you who are not familiar with Charles Bhepin, I'll grant a quick summary: Bhepin is currently one of the most intensely-followed authors on Fanfiction.net's anime section thanks to his work on Shinji and Warhammer 40K. The premise of this fic is that Shinji discovers a chest full of Warhammer 40,000 rulebooks and miniatures in his childhood, and the exposure to something as mind-bending as the Forty-First Millennium completely alters his outlook on life, which in turn changes his childhood much for the better and ends with him being a small-town hero by the time he leaves for Tokyo-3.

Once he actually gets there, his altered perspective (and the egos of his favorite miniatures, which talk to him in his head on a regular basis) result in Shinji turning into a hotblooded mecha pilot of the sort that would make Kamina, Guy Shishio, and Domon Kasshu proud, while also having (thanks to the Eldar Farseer's guidance) the planning abilities of Lelouche Lamperouge, all while skillfully avoiding God Mode Sue status and still being quite fallible. This combination flips Evangelion completely on its' head, turning it into a much more standard super robot show with an insanely awesome cast of characters and a plot that only gets more crazy the more chapters into it you get. It really needs to be seen to be believed.

On the Took A Level in Badass trope page, however, there is a single line of text posted below S&40K's entry, one which caught my attention and refuses to let go:

"This troper very much wants to see what Bhephin could do with a Sailor Moon fanfic."

...Well, why the heck not?

This is my new project, fellow fanfic junkies: I'm going to find a way to turn Usagi and the Sailor Senshi into a group of Crazy Awesome badasses without compromising their characters or making them go ridiculously OOC, and I'd like your help in coming up with ideas on how to do that. I'm not certain whether or not this will ever turn into an actual fanfic, but at the very least the ideas we come up with here may serve as inspiration for anyone who puts serious effort into this concept.

Here are a few ideas I've come up with so far:

* Usagi fails to rescue Naru's mother before she's drained to death in episode 1 and resolves to take this demon hunting business seriously.
* Usagi reincarnates into a family of practicing mages or otherwise abnormal people (Ki users? Psychics? The Takamachi family?), and shares in that abnormality in some manner. Hunting demons isn't so strange to her.
* The magic system the Senshi use is more structured and very Nanoha-ish instead of the more typical magical girl spells we see in-series. Without really doing a whole lot, the Senshi seem more like professional mages than girls in silly uniforms.

Let's hear some more from the rest of you!
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Heaven's Deamon » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:17 pm

I can think of some ways to improve each of the Senshi individually before they become Senshi:

Moon: She loves video games, so give her specific types to focus on, such as RPGs and/or Strategy games like Fire Emblem. You could also have her become interested in Tabletop RPGs somehow (such as one of her parents having played them in colledge and Usagi getting ahold of old (or new) source books they kept.

Mercury: Being a Bookworm is one of her basic traits, having her read series involving Badass Bookworms and/or Adventurer Archaeologist to make her want to be like them. Alternately, have her gain an interest in Scifi series and the tech they have, so that when she gets the Mercury Computer she starts looking up Silver Millenium Magi Tech se can build.

Mars: She's already a Miko with a few abilities, give her more training in spiritual powers and possibly dial up some hotblood to fit her element and your set.

Jupiter: She was already the "Martial Artist" of the group, boost her Dan levels and add Ki use and Kino Makoto will be ready to kick some ass.

Venus: Best options I can think of are either a love for militaritic fiction, or liking mahou shoujo manga making her gleefully genre savvy.

Uranus: She alreay likes motorcycles, add in Mechanic skills so she can "personalize them" (read: make them faster and add other things to them regardless of common sense) and andrenaline junkie traits......

Neptune: Main thing that I can think of is sound knowledge so she can put her music to use.

Saturn: The manga had her father using mechanical parts to save her after the accident, but only doing so halfassedly. Up that to full fledged Hollywood Cyborg, with Mercury providing upgrades once she joins the team.

Pluto: Drop the "Time Gates let her know everything" trait and let her do intelligence gathering by other means, whether it's just scrying, or more traditional methods.
Apointed Spammer rank D by Fool (AKA Black Dragon) Monday April 9th, 2007

Upgraded to Spammer Rank C by BD (AKA Fool, Black Dragon) Monday April 30th, 2007

Promoted to Spammer Rank B by BD (AKA Fool, Black Dragon) Tuesday May 15th 2007
Heaven's Deamon
Moon Senshi

Postby al103 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:52 pm

Heaven's Deamon wrote:Mercury: Being a Bookworm is one of her basic traits, having her read series involving Badass Bookworms and/or Adventurer Archaeologist to make her want to be like them. Alternately, have her gain an interest in Scifi series and the tech they have, so that when she gets the Mercury Computer she starts looking up Silver Millenium Magi Tech se can build.

Or make her "I want to help people." (canon, thus doctor) combined with IQ300 and SMcomputer into "I want to help people an mass and i need base to do it" and thus "Mizuno Enterprises" and shrewd businesswoman and sponsor of countless NGO in all corners of world Ami Mizuno is born... Also if go by anime canon - do that boy prophetic dreams ended after purification? IIRC no, and it can be changed anyway... i see big bright future for "Mizuno Enterprises", yeah...

Heaven's Deamon wrote:Mars: She's already a Miko with a few abilities, give her more training in spiritual powers and possibly dial up some hotblood to fit her element and your set.

Even magical archery like Kagome would make here extreme range fighter in anime canon, detection and protection with charms all over Tokyo "Silent Mobius" style is good idea too... And i even don't want to go in Shinmei-Ryuu... Actually with analytical branch of "Mizuno Enterprises", they computerized scanning equipment everywhere, one boy prophet and magical scanning net parallel to computerized electronic one... Senshi will be in place of Yoma incursions before Yoma would knew that they are starting incursion there and i mean literally so. And being at place of yoma attack not because of luck, but because of prep will change badass level greatly i'd say...

Heaven's Deamon wrote:Venus: Best options I can think of are either a love for militaritic fiction, or liking mahou shoujo manga making her gleefully genre savvy.

She had already in contact with British police... And Yoma are no joke... So who said it's ended just with police? Make her MI5/6... or some other organization member or good contact...
Last edited by al103 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
al103
Senshi Cadet

Postby Jomasten » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:09 pm

I dunno if I could contribute much, but I've always thought that a bit more... 'destructive' spells would have made the series better. What you need is to give the Senshi some SRW-esque finishers, the likes of which Apotheosized Ialdabaoth and its pilot, Folka, would be proud of.

This one suddenly gets an image where Jupiter raises her hand, and blows up about an quarter of Tokyo with a beam of pure thunder.

...Then gets another image where Saturn pulls a Shin Neo-Granzon, and black-holes a youma.

Though giving Usagi an intense interest in an RPG video game because she's a big gaming otaku seems...static.

Best give her something unexpected, and would leave a definite impact dent the size of Nebraska.

Or Wormwood.

Rifts deliciously comes to mind.
[SILENCE! You are distracting my concentration to distract myself.]

[Otherwise, I will distract you enough that you can concentrate on distracting yourself!]
Jomasten
Senshi Cadet

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:01 pm

Jomasten wrote:Though giving Usagi an intense interest in an RPG video game because she's a big gaming otaku seems...static.

Best give her something unexpected, and would leave a definite impact dent the size of Nebraska.

Usagi would make a decent Humanoid Typhoon. Sixty Billion Double Yen price upon her head ...
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Nekomata-sensei » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:55 pm

Moon- humanoid typhoon like instinctive fighting style, looks really clumsy and ridiculous, but is actually really accurate and impressive, and is amazingly fast, I agree that fits her, but also emphasize that even without her senshi form her physical abilities and senses are somewhat abnormally strong, what with her crazy dashes to school when she is late and she is abnormally tough as well, able to deal with tumbles at such high speeds without serious harm, and have someone _notice_ this and comment on it, make her abilities somewhat like Asuna in physical capabilities, not entirely aware of it, but physically and in her senses she is just superior to a normal human, with better health and stuff as well. This then gets multiplied by her senshi transformation, producing insane stats. Also give her a 'high power level' sort of thing, an abnormally huge life force/energy that allows her to do things like power the life sucking Ginsuzishou without dying. Then emphasize how while the other senshi are really strong, it still usually takes Moon's big long charge up attacks to actually finish off the tougher youma or the bosses, and she pulls off all sorts of ridiculous attacks that even genius mages of great power shouldn't be able to do in a million years, and when she gets the Ginsuzishou, some of her abilities outright warp reality to her whims, not to different from Scarlet Witch or Suzumiya Haruhi. Finally, make her more serious about being a magical girl, possibly due to excitement over the whole Sailor V thing and becoming a serious fan before she becomes Sailor Moon.

Venus- I agree on the M-16 thing, get her involved in something bigger. I'd also recommend having her recover her crystal sword, making the crescent beam more destructive, or at least having a 2nd stage version of it, and making the chains more like those used in some of the Nanoha binding attacks by Arf, Yuuno, and Chrono, and possibly like a whip sword type thing as well with bladed links if used a certain way. Also, make her more of a leader, as isn't she supposed to be sort of the leader of the inner senshi in terms of protecting the kingdom and the princess? I'd go for a leader archetype similar to Jack from Stargate, cool headed and a bit of a joker to undermine the enemies, using pop culture references, but with sort of Spider-Man like motivations of calming herself down by keeping up the banter.

Mercury- so much can be done here, but I'd like to specifically reccomend some things based on Naruto characters. Her early mist trick for hiding can be combined with a sort of silent killing thing, sneaking up on the enemy and using a deadly physical attack in close combat with her senshi enhanced strength in a surprise attack to a vital point. Have her do something like snap some youma's head off or stick her arm through their chest in a trust from behind while the fog is up. Also the Shikamaru type thing with using her brains and plans in battle. Finally, take big advantage of the mercury computer, what it can detect, what information might be stored on it and how that info can be used. I'm not so sure about the doctor or adventurer archeologist character archetypes, as they don't seem to really fit Ami that much, instead, I'd go more the Lina Inverse type route, she learns so much about the subtle details of magical theory and does so much research that it enhances her techniques and spells beyond the normal levels and she can figure out unconventional counters to the opponent's techniques on the fly.

Jupiter- I agree with increasing her dan levels and possibly giving her ki powers. I'd also like to recommend Shodaime/Tenzou style tree attack entrapment type things with her wood element, and some sort of charged lighting in the form of a weapon similar to Sasuke's chidori blade, or some chidori like big strikes of close combat+element.

Mars- Wards, have her able to create wards to create barriers most youma can't pass, paralyze lesser minions in huge groups with a bunch of ofunda, prevent bystanders from being taken over by the enemy or drained or anything by hitting them with ofunda before the enemy can get to them, establish entrapment barriers that prevent the enemy from escaping an area, either by normal movement, special movement, or transportation, even able to trap a general if she can get the wards up before they escape or stop her. Also, I agree with increasing her temper to match her element, make her prone to battle fury, and truly formidable in that mode, able to do massive damage with huge swaths of super hot magical flames. Also, let her control her flames, snuff them out or make them move around to her will sort of like how Itachi controls Amaterasu.
"Health, Learning & Virtue will ensure your happiness; they will give you a quiet conscience, private esteem & public honor." Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
Nekomata-sensei
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Kakanma » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 am

And now for my personal favorite senshi, Saturn. While being able to level a few city blocks sounds cool the REAL potential of her ability's is that she can destroy ANYTHING... Like say, the connective tissue holding her enemies together, or for even more overkill, the atomic bonds in their bodies for a nice atomic boom. Of course this would be a STRICTLY off planet move but still...
"You mean...You'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword and we'll try to kill each other like civilized people?"
Kakanma
Senshi Cadet

Postby al103 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:05 am

Kakanma wrote:And now for my personal favorite senshi, Saturn. While being able to level a few city blocks sounds cool the REAL potential of her ability's is that she can destroy ANYTHING... Like say, the connective tissue holding her enemies together, or for even more overkill, the atomic bonds in their bodies for a nice atomic boom. Of course this would be a STRICTLY off planet move but still...

Hmm... If to go for overkill then she must get Mystic Eyes Of Death Perception - she fits requirements anyway... EoDP combined with senshi powers and her halberd... OMG!

PS. Hotaru cutting M9 from herself using EoDP is very badass i think btw.
al103
Senshi Cadet

Postby Comartemis » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:40 am

Moon: She loves video games, so give her specific types to focus on, such as RPGs and/or Strategy games like Fire Emblem. You could also have her become interested in Tabletop RPGs somehow (such as one of her parents having played them in colledge and Usagi getting ahold of old (or new) source books they kept.

What about First Person Shooters? Since Sunny seems to have abandoned Gunslinger Moon, I don't think he'd mind if I hijacked his concept and put my own spin on it...

Jupiter: She was already the "Martial Artist" of the group, boost her Dan levels and add Ki use and Kino Makoto will be ready to kick some ass.

Wouldn't have it any other way. :twisted:

Venus: Best options I can think of are either a love for militaritic fiction, or liking mahou shoujo manga making her gleefully genre savvy.

Oh lord... I don't know what made me think of this all of a sudden, but I'm stricken by a sudden mental image of Sailor V wearing a pair of orange v-shaped sunglasses instead of her traditional mask...

Uranus: She alreay likes motorcycles, add in Mechanic skills so she can "personalize them" (read: make them faster and add other things to them regardless of common sense) and andrenaline junkie traits......

Here too, I'm getting images of Uranus pulling a Fate/Zero, and jousting with a youma on her motorcycle with the Space Sword in one hand.

Saturn: The manga had her father using mechanical parts to save her after the accident, but only doing so halfassedly. Up that to full fledged Hollywood Cyborg, with Mercury providing upgrades once she joins the team.

Pluto: Drop the "Time Gates let her know everything" trait and let her do intelligence gathering by other means, whether it's just scrying, or more traditional methods.

Detective Pluto and Combat Cyborg Saturn? I'm getting jitters just thinking about it. But what's Tux boy going to be getting up to while the others are busy becoming Made of Awesome?

Even magical archery like Kagome would make here extreme range fighter in anime canon, detection and protection with charms all over Tokyo "Silent Mobius" style is good idea too... And i even don't want to go in Shinmei-Ryuu...

I think Mars will probably have a lot of binding spells and pyromancy more than swordsmanship, but it's definitely worth thinking about.

Actually with analytical branch of "Mizuno Enterprises", they computerized scanning equipment everywhere, one boy prophet and magical scanning net parallel to computerized electronic one... Senshi will be in place of Yoma incursions before Yoma would knew that they are starting incursion there and i mean literally so. And being at place of yoma attack not because of luck, but because of prep will change badass level greatly i'd say...

The youma are also going to be taking a few levels in badass, if only so that the Senshi don't curbstomp them every time they show up. I'm thinking the Generals will probably have the manga's power levels and the youma will attack in large groups after the first few battles.

Also, which boy are you referring to?

I dunno if I could contribute much, but I've always thought that a bit more... 'destructive' spells would have made the series better. What you need is to give the Senshi some SRW-esque finishers, the likes of which Apotheosized Ialdabaoth and its pilot, Folka, would be proud of.

The spells we have are already plenty destructive, you just don't see the results of the attack as often as you do in, say, Nanoha. If I actually wind up writing this thing, one of the main things I'm going to focus on is a lot of descriptive text and generous helpings of collateral damage; streets melting under Mar's fire, windows blowing out whenever Jupiter smashes some poor guy into a building, etc etc. Though the idea of Saturn turning the Silence Glaive into a BFS and screaming about being The Sword that Cleaves Evil is intensely amusing. :P

Rifts deliciously comes to mind.

I'm completely unfamiliar with Rifts. Can we make her Genre Savvy instead from watching too much anime?

Finally, make her more serious about being a magical girl, possibly due to excitement over the whole Sailor V thing and becoming a serious fan before she becomes Sailor Moon.

That's pretty much a given. I'm definitely keeping Moon on as the heavy artillery, but I also want to give her some lesser attacks so she won't be useless until the girls set up the kill for her. Turning her into Asuna On Steroids seems like a fun way to do that. Maybe I can have her take interest in martial arts--not intensely so, like Makoto or Haruka, but casually, as a way to stay in shape?

Venus- I agree on the M-16 thing, get her involved in something bigger. I'd also recommend having her recover her crystal sword, making the crescent beam more destructive, or at least having a 2nd stage version of it, and making the chains more like those used in some of the Nanoha binding attacks by Arf, Yuuno, and Chrono, and possibly like a whip sword type thing as well with bladed links if used a certain way.

I like the idea of Venus being a secret agent, but I think the crystal sword might get passed up on just because it's on the moon and Venus has no way to get there. On the other hand, I fully intend to expand on Venus's metal alignment more than her energy powers; Unlimited Blade Works, anybody?

Mercury- so much can be done here, but I'd like to specifically reccomend some things based on Naruto characters. Her early mist trick for hiding can be combined with a sort of silent killing thing, sneaking up on the enemy and using a deadly physical attack in close combat with her senshi enhanced strength in a surprise attack to a vital point.

Twin ice daggers are a must for this.

Have her do something like snap some youma's head off or stick her arm through their chest in a trust from behind while the fog is up.

Seems kinda... violent for Ami. Taking advantage of the fog is a very good idea as a combat tactic, though.

I'm not so sure about the doctor or adventurer archeologist character archetypes, as they don't seem to really fit Ami that much, instead, I'd go more the Lina Inverse type route, she learns so much about the subtle details of magical theory and does so much research that it enhances her techniques and spells beyond the normal levels and she can figure out unconventional counters to the opponent's techniques on the fly.

I actually think Mercury would be better as a Hermione Granger-type spellcaster; less powerful than the others, but her high IQ and above-average grasp of her powers makes her much more flexible than the others are with numerous spells they wouldn't be able to pull off.

And now for my personal favorite senshi, Saturn. While being able to level a few city blocks sounds cool the REAL potential of her ability's is that she can destroy ANYTHING... Like say, the connective tissue holding her enemies together, or for even more overkill, the atomic bonds in their bodies for a nice atomic boom. Of course this would be a STRICTLY off planet move but still...

You're not thinking on a small enough scale. Deconstruct their genetic data and turn them into piles of dust. Or invert the Silence Wall and turn it into a projectile attack, Getsuga Tenshou style.

PS. Hotaru cutting M9 from herself using EoDP is very badass i think btw.

Nah, Saturn doesn't need Death Perception to be a badass. Just give her some skills with the Glaive and set her loose. Halberds and polearms are intensely badass if properly used, and if this is Hollywood Cyborg Hotaru we're talking about, then we can have all kinds of other goodies built into her as well.
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Kakanma » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:17 am

Just a thought, "Venus Love-me Gatling!" :twisted:
"You mean...You'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword and we'll try to kill each other like civilized people?"
Kakanma
Senshi Cadet

Postby Southern Cross » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:32 am

Actually,you could do a Sailor Moon/Hellsing crossover.
For one example of this check out http://sailorhellsing.comicgenesis.com/.
"We're all part monsters in our subconscious-That's why we have laws and religion!" -Captain J.J. Adams
Southern Cross
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby al103 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:11 am

Comartemis wrote:Here too, I'm getting images of Uranus pulling a Fate/Zero, and jousting with a youma on her motorcycle with the Space Sword in one hand.

Or make homage to another Zero... Ga-Rei one. Bike-fu FTW.

Comartemis wrote:The youma are also going to be taking a few levels in badass, if only so that the Senshi don't curbstomp them every time they show up.

Thing is - with expanded badass factor -> expanded combat abilities Senshi would be problem not only for yoma... and will have problem not only with them. Sailor V worked against normal criminals too... and given that Mars had spellcasting before becoming senshi i'm not sure that there aren't magical criminals in SMverse. And actually you don't need to pump yoma to make them dangerous - just remove "we got lucky and JUST got there because of plot device N" from senshi, it would change thing enormously.

Comartemis wrote:Also, which boy are you referring to?

The one which had crush on Ami and Ami on him. One of the 7 something-but-i-don't-remember-what-filler-yomas. Best filler character ever.

Comartemis wrote:I like the idea of Venus being a secret agent, but I think the crystal sword might get passed up on just because it's on the moon and Venus has no way to get there.

1. Senshi have teleport.
2. If teleport is not option - then there is old method of rocket-to-the-moon Mizuno Enterprises WILL sponsor it and MI5/6/anything will help to organize it.

Comartemis wrote:Twin ice daggers are a must for this.

I always imagined her more of "HELL AND HEAVEN!!!" person. With Mercury being half frozen solid and half molten lava.
al103
Senshi Cadet

Postby Heaven's Deamon » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:13 am

One way of giving Mamoru a boost wouldbe to go the "Kurama" route. He already uses Roses, having someone laugh at them until it bursts into vines and ties them up for Moon's finisher, or turning Plants into weapons he can use for actual combat participation would be a nice way to overcome the standard complaint about him.

And yeah, my game idea wasn't so much about the games themselves as the effect they could have on someone with lots of imagination. Given the sheer number of different RPGs, there are lots of spell variationsthat could be thought of, among other things, and Strategy games would require actual thought and could be used to raise Usagi's leadership ability.
Apointed Spammer rank D by Fool (AKA Black Dragon) Monday April 9th, 2007

Upgraded to Spammer Rank C by BD (AKA Fool, Black Dragon) Monday April 30th, 2007

Promoted to Spammer Rank B by BD (AKA Fool, Black Dragon) Tuesday May 15th 2007
Heaven's Deamon
Moon Senshi

Postby al103 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:35 am

Or just go manga and make Mamoru don't use roses at all... Sword, cane, sword-cane...
al103
Senshi Cadet

Postby lwf58 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:14 am

Most of these ideas miss the point entirely. It's not a matter of giving each Senshi a separate power-up. The idea behind Shinji and W2K was that one factor changed Shinji in a fundamental way and he in turn introduced the other characters to that factor, which changed them in turn. The others locked onto an aspect of the W2K philosophy which suited their personalities, while Shinji embraced the whole, and has "advisers" from each of the four original races - human, Chaos human, eldar, and ork.

To make this work properly, a factor is needed that Usagi discovers and which changes her life and outlook at a basic level and allows her to become much more focused and effective. She then introduces this factor to the other girls as she meets them and it changes them in similar ways.

It could be something as simple as meeting a magical mascot adviser at a younger age who then trains her to be the Dark Kingdom's worst nightmare over a course of years before they make their first appearance. In that vein, it could also be a device like receiving her locket much earlier, and having it contain the spirit of Queen Serenity who then acts as her mentor instead of Luna (in canon, Luna did a poor job of being Usagi's mentor and didn't really contribute to her growth as a person or warrior).

Proposals to individually upgrade the Senshi miss the point of the model story written by Charles Bhepin.
Last edited by lwf58 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
lwf58
Site Master

Next

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon