Attacks or techniques

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

Attacks or techniques

Postby Cheb » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:32 am

Whenever the Senshi talk about their attacks, they use word "Technique" (waza) -- the same Ranma uses when talking about things like Hiryu Shoten Ha (after witnessing it from Cologne, Ranma exclaimed "Sugoi waza da!" -- "What a great technique!")
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Re: Attacks or techniques

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Oh, semantics. The meaning can be used incorrectly in the right context; at least, it can in English. By itself, an attack is simply an offensive maneuver. The technique is how one applies the maneuver. Sometimes "tactic" is also confused to mean "technique", but a tactic is how any action is used in a given circumstance, which will rely on the skill (that is, their competency with a given ability (like running) or technique) of those involved to be successful.

It's easier to tell the difference in the early part of the series of Sailor Moon. For instance, when Sailor Moon throws her tiara at the enemy, that's an attack. When she wills its movement to change from its original trajectory, or to bind an enemy, she's using a technique. Throughout most of the series, in both the anime and the manga, they just attack, sometimes employing tactics.

The hiryu shoten ha is pretty complex, but the end result (requiring skill, technique and tactics) is an attack. When he revised the attack twice, that was technique. Basically, anyone can swing a sword, but it takes technique (and skill, of course) to make that swing stand out and get noticed. Or, as those using the technique would hope, the technique, being different, won't be recognized for what it is until it's too late.

That's how I see it, anyway. I can't say I ever gave it any serious thought before.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon