Head Canon

Talk about all other fiction in this forum.

Re: Head Canon

Postby Pata Hikari » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:50 pm

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:I've a question, then. You must read, to form your opinions. Who do you read? I looked at your "Favorite Authors" list. Our only overlaps are PurseMonger and WFROSE, and neither of them seem that canon-bound to me.

To be frank I barely use the Favorite Author list on FF.net, the primary reason Pursemonger is on it is because I know her personally.

And wow, WFROSE, haven't thought of him for a long time. He was put there nearly a decade ago, back when I was a kid and thought shock value made for good stories. I've grown out of that since them, but have some nostalgia for his stories in the same way people have nostalgia for the 80s Transformers cartoon.

And hahahhaha Pursemonger has a better grasp of Ranma 1/2 canon then every single author PCHeintz72 mentioned on his list that I read. Her stories may not match canon's tone but her grasp of the characterization is spot on.

Anyways, for who I do read, there's of course Claymade and Sage of Toads. There's also Burgerbecky's later stories (natch), Jeremy Harper, most of MZephyr's later longer stories once he got over his Ryoga and Shampoo hateboner. There's You ROCK Harder, Angela Jewell, khamemel, DB Sommer, O'Donoghue, Rowan Seven, and Kirinin (back when he wrote Ranma fanfiction. :<).

Off the top of my head those are all good Ranma fanfic authors.
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:05 pm

Pata Hikari wrote:To be frank I barely use the Favorite Author list on FF.net, the primary reason Pursemonger is on it is because I know her personally.

I can agree there; I know several of the people on my Favorites list -- one personally in meatspace (he bought me chocolate!) and four by correspondence. There are a number of people on my un-favorites list, but I try not to carry them around with me and they definitely are not on my follow list.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Drawde » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:10 am

AxelTheBunny wrote:As I stated, its the type of thing you need to take on a case by case basis. Look at the way most people describe Ki in Ranma stories. It is used to explain some techniques, like the moko takabisha, and it's easy to insinuate that other techniques utilize it as well. But most of what is usually used as the description of what one can do with Ki is pure speculation, as well as what it actually is. One could assume that Ki is the reason these martial artists can do physically impossible, superhuman feats however I dont recall this ever actually being said in canon.

This is an interesting type of fanon. The one that's not specifically mentioned in canon, because it's so standard it doesn't need to be mentioned.

Like a story with a vampire in it. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, you'd know the vampire drinks blood since that's what vampires eat. Even if the story never mentions what the vampire eats you'd know that. Ki is the reason martial artists can do what they do in Japan for the same reason.

The problem with this is when the knowledge mutates over time and later readers (or foreign ones) don't have these commonly known facts and don't understand the references.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby AxelTheBunny » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:31 pm

Most people use a definition of Ki that I think you could compare to say, Dragon Ball or Spirit Energy from YuYu Hakusho. My point is that this is not ever described in the show. There's no real description of the capabilities, limits, or mechanics of Ki in the Ranma universe. It's obviously tied to emotion, that much one can infer based on canon techniques and incidents. (Hiryu Shoten Ha, Moko Takabisha, Shi Shi Hokodon, etc.)
Yes its easy to use the form that is often used in other Shonen anime, but thats still not particularly "canon" either, as there has never to my knowledge in the manga OR anime been a defining of Ki.

As for whether or not things such as Nabiki helping Ranma would be in character...I feel this is situational. The issue with this whole argument (which is what it feels like to an extent at least) is that the characters personalities are very subjective in general. Between the fact Takahashi isnt always consistent with characterization (at least, in my opinion.) The fact different people are going to see characters differently based on different events or which median they prefer. (anime or manga) and simply the fact these characters mostly are teenagers, who dont typically have a reputation for consistency in general because of a number of reasons. Saying Writers like those mentioned are bad because they take the characters into a different direction is a bit much. Im not a fan of some of the ones mentioned, VimesEnthusiast or Innortal for example but I'm not going to say they are bad writers simply because they dont fall into my tastes or my own subjective interpretation of the characters of Ranma 1/2. I am a fan of Ozzallos however.

Now back to the main topic:
The issue with this whole debate of fanon and canon is that people will all have different opinions of what constitutes canon. Some things are universally agreed on, but different people, and different writers will tend to emphasize certain traits of characters or portray traits differently. Often times it's more a case of most of the parts being there but their order and size being different so to speak.
I've enjoyed many of the fics from different parts of the spectrum. while I dislike fics that are entirely out of character usually such as ClassicalGal's Genma's Daughter to say anyone is an authority over what makes a "good" story is rather asinine isn't it? Opinions differ.
Now there are plenty of things that are fanon that do bug me. The Akane blowing up over any small thing (often to the point of lunacy) is a good example. But as I said the issue with saying who objectively writes all Ranma Characters the best is that people have different interpretations of the characters.
I do think that those fics where everything falls on the side of pure fanon and the author writes what essentially is an OC with Ranma's name, as Hikari has put it in the past are lazy, and dont personally like them, but I'm not going to go full Canon Stazi on somebody because they are lazy, or simply decide to go with what is more fun to write for them.
Some are blatantly out of character, with good or bad traits being sandblasted off depending on a person's opinion on said character.

As for who is my favorite "high canon" author...I'd probably have to go with Claymade.
AxelTheBunny
Senshi Cadet

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:51 am

AxelTheBunny wrote:Now back to the main topic:

This is what has me confused. The title for this thread is headcanon, but the subject is aimed toward getting characterization right in light of fanon and the differences between continuities.

I haven't really looked at any stories closely, to say for certain if I've come across any that did well to reflect the series in its many aspects, and my bad memory doesn't help matters, but I recall enough about Big Human on Campus to say that it captured more of the spirit of Ranma 1/2 than Ranma's characterization. Having interacted with the author for a while in the past, either roleplaying or goofing around, my impression was that Ranma was a lot like how the author behaved (and expressed humor), as opposed to how Ranma would behave.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:06 am

Of course, head-canon depends on the head -- both the head of the writer, and the head of the reader. De gustibus non disputandum est.

I feel Ranma has been ill-done-by Genma. Other people see things by "rule of funny". The neko-ken can plainly be seen both ways, but I do not approve of something like that being considered funny. It's too damn close to the Three Stooges for my taste. That's why one of the first things I did in Different Colors was to fix it. Not perfectly, mind you -- there's still plenty of humor in the end result.

I gave up reading Ranma after the first five tankoubon. I gave up watching the anime after two seasons. It hurt too much. My head-canon for Ranma is taken from fanon, and only from the parts I approve of. If I want a place where my head-canon lines up with canon, I'll go visit Tenchi.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Pata Hikari » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:50 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:This is what has me confused. The title for this thread is headcanon, but the subject is aimed toward getting characterization right in light of fanon and the differences between continuities..

Seriously, the OP asked " What fanfic do you think best represents the characters."

I pointed out that it'd obviously he the fanfics that manage to both capture the characterization and the tone of the original manga, yet this was somehow controversial.

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:I gave up reading Ranma after the first five tankoubon. I gave up watching the anime after two seasons. It hurt too much. My head-canon for Ranma is taken from fanon, and only from the parts I approve of. If I want a place where my head-canon lines up with canon, I'll go visit Tenchi.

First off, this explains why Different Colors was such a mess characterization wise and how you have so many errors of basic facts about the series.

Second, why are you writing Ranma 1/2 fanfiction in the first place?

Stopping reading Ranma 1/2 by volume 5 means you haven't even gotten every member of the core cast introduced yet. So you literally are writing stories about characters who you've never actually seen interact. Write fanfiction of something you're actually, you know, a fan of.

Also that's an incredible misuse of the term "Head canon" in the first place. That term always means your own personal interpretation of parts of the characters lives not shown on screen and filling tiny details. Not making up whole cloth details and characterization that contradicts canon directly and blatantly.
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:19 pm

Pata Hikari wrote:First off, this explains why Different Colors was such a mess characterization wise and how you have so many errors of basic facts about the series.

You seem to think I wrote it for you. I didn't. But enough people liked it that it has 277 favorites, 442 reviews (most of which are positive, though there was one guy who disapproved of my use of semicolons), and it's currently listed on 36 C2s.

In short, I can easily imagine you muttering to yourself along the lines of "Kami above, I'm surrounded by people who have the combined taste of a wallow of warthogs." No offense meant to Wonder Warthog, none at all.

See? He's smiling.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Té Rowan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:14 pm

Pata Hikari wrote:First off, this explains why Different Colors was such a mess characterization wise and how you have so many errors of basic facts about the series.

To me, you sound like compliance to your headcanon is more important than spinning a good yarn.

I cannot figure out if this is for real or if it is a wingless attempt at Epic Trollage.
A government is the only known vessel that leaks from the top. (James Reston)
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:27 pm

Ah... posting of information to the thread which could be of importance.

Since Harry Potter and Rowling was brought up earlier int he thread as her 'being a creator anything she/he says is canon' scenario, she just dropped another bombshell today... There are according to her 2 different infamous people known as Harry Potter in the magical world. Also, according to her, even if the second is really 'Henry Potter', since he is known by a nickname of 'Harry Potter' he still counts.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/j-k-rowling-r ... ovies.html

This type of scenario is why I do not consider author intent canon. So... this means nothing to me until she writes another book or movie using this information to expand the universe making it canon.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:31 pm

Since Harry Potter and Rowling was brought up earlier int he thread as her 'being a creator anything she/he says is canon' scenario, she just dropped another bombshell today... There are according to her 2 different infamous people known as Harry Potter in the magical world. Also, according to her, even if the second is really 'Henry Potter', since he is known by a nickname of 'Harry Potter' he still counts.

*facepalm*

WTF... Well, at least it doesn't matter for the "standard era". But seriously, "Fleamont"? That alone is enough to bring out the big nasty hatchet of doom to chop away the dreaded "supposedly canon".

#####

Wow, seriously? :roll:

Pata Hikari wrote:
First off, this explains why Different Colors was such a mess characterization wise and how you have so many errors of basic facts about the series.

I think i need some better smilies to better express my view on that "statement"...
Oh crud, my favorite place to use smilies from doesn't work from their new site...

Ok lets see:

Yes, i think that begins to give a little hint.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby AxelTheBunny » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:01 pm

It did get quite sidetracked. And there IS a sincere difference between fanon (Ideas widely used within fanfiction without being a part of the canon) and Head Canon which is more a person's interpretation of the canon. This includes inferences they may have made such as for lore, or other things not shown in the story itself.

And yeah...well that is the nature of conversation isnt it.

And Yeah Rowling's lost her mind when it comes to the canon in recent years. Making so many changes is silly because many of them make no sense, are completely arbitrary, or just stupid. It's kinda like she just wants to remain relevant to me and HP is the only string to her bow.

But yes this is why Author intent shouldnt necessarily be canon, because she's been retroactively adding and changing things often enough that it's ridiculous. I maintain the position that for something to be canon it needs to be within the story itself, or related materials like sequals or books surrounding the lore. Changing things because the author years later says "oh actually this character is like this now" is silly.

Im not gonna defend Ellen, they can do it themselves so *shrugs* With Different Colors, not my cup of tea but it seemed like an interesting story.
AxelTheBunny
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spica75 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:22 am

But yes this is why Author intent shouldnt necessarily be canon, because she's been retroactively adding and changing things often enough that it's ridiculous. I maintain the position that for something to be canon it needs to be within the story itself, or related materials like sequals or books surrounding the lore. Changing things because the author years later says "oh actually this character is like this now" is silly.

And sometimes, canon have to be shot down in favour of fanon, when the canon is just too bloody stupid or insanely ridiculous.

Im not gonna defend Ellen, they can do it themselves so *shrugs* With Different Colors, not my cup of tea but it seemed like an interesting story.

Well worth reading, i don't favorite stories lightly. And if you haven't already looked, take a peek at her website that she links in the sig, there's some fun stuff there. In case you want to make a homebuilt spectroscope for example. :mrgreen:
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Drawde » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:51 am

AxelTheBunny wrote:But yes this is why Author intent shouldnt necessarily be canon, because she's been retroactively adding and changing things often enough that it's ridiculous. I maintain the position that for something to be canon it needs to be within the story itself, or related materials like sequals or books surrounding the lore. Changing things because the author years later says "oh actually this character is like this now" is silly.

Except this happens all the time. Even when the changes directly contradict previously published works.

I've never understood why something has to be published to be canon, when anything that IS published later will follow what's been put out by the author anyway.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:50 am

And that's not even getting into canon that contradicts other canon (not even a retcon, just inconsistency) or long running media where there's simply so much officially published over the years it's a giant clusterfuck (American comics for instance)
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Fiction Discussion