Your Anime Collection

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

Re: Your Anime Collection

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:03 am

CRBWildcat wrote:I could never understand how people could collect that much and still have enough space in their homes to walk around. Man... a hobby is a hobby, but this...! :o

Meh. At least for me, not the case for me at all, and I see nothing wrong with it.

You are not giving collectors and organizers, or those with obsession with positional awareness near enough credit, it is *not* the same as say hoarding, which I find quite disgusting. Nor the same as those that literally fill their house, garage, shed, and even the yard with stuff.... Say like what Yomiko Readman did in the original ROD OAV.

Having large and/or multiple collections is quite easy if you are organized and good at space management/positional awareness... I keep everything clean, neat, presentable, and in a fashion to maximize interior room and minimize presence. I happen to have a reasonably small house and I have no issues from having large collections whatsoever.

Consider my entire set of collections, all carefully grouped and organized:

- Star Trek book collection - some 400 paperback, hardcover, large print, and tech manuals... carefully organized onto two medium sized bookshelves in my bedroom.

- Scifi/Fantasy book collection - some 100 paperback, hardcover, large print, and tech manuals... 1 bookshelf in my bedroom off of the computer desk center.

- Computer books / software collection - all the install discs, hard backups, blank CD's DVD's, manuals, and packaging, codes, plus the box and critical information for my dumb pay as go cell phone plus backup unit. 1 bookshelf in my bedroom off of the computer desk center.

- Scifi DVD collection - Includes things like All Star Trek series and movies, all Stargate, all Buck Rogers, all Space 1999, all original Galactica and Galactica 1980, other stuff. 1 bookshelf in main floor living room surround sound media center.

- Comedy/mystery/miscellaneous live DVD collection - Including things like Remington Steele, Ellery Queen, Sherlock Holmes, Diagnosis Murder, A-Team, Zorro, etc. 1 bookshelf in main floor living room surround sound media center.

- Manga book collection - see list above for a slightly outdated summary, 1 bookshelf in basement *next to* but not part of the basement great room surround sound media center.

- Anime DVD collection - see list above for a slightly outdated summary, both bookshelves in basement great room surround sound media center, and a small cardboard box in my bedroom closet of unsorted/unwatched material. Those will eventually be moved to the basement great room surround sound media center bookshelves or pitched as I watch them.

- 130+ Old 45 records, on top of the basement surround sound media center bookshelves, in 4 special chrome carrier racks with wood handles designed to hold about 40 records each.

- Several hundred 35mm slides... on top of the basement great room surround sound media center shelves with the 45 records... in 4 plastic holders with covers designed for long term storage.

- 30+ audio cassettes, on top of the Manga bookshelf next to the basement great room surround sound media center in portable nylon holders with covers.

- 20+ VHS video cassettes, a recent acquisition from an Aunt... Highlander series. Currently in the Basement media shelves in the little remaining free room in them.

- Couple dozen Non-Anime Audio CD's, on top of the bookshelves surrounding the living room surround sound media center in boxes designed to match the look of the bookshelves..

- Couple dozen Anime Audio CD's, on top of the bookshelves surrounding the basement great room surround sound media center in boxes designed to match the look of the bookshelves..

Note that the basement great room is 500+ square feet, and the surround sound media center area is less than 1/4 of that area. plus I have a spare bedroom with only minimal stuff in it, and a attic crawlspace that has literally nothing but two attic mounted antennas in it and is completely empty of storage. My own bedroom closet, except some suits, shoes, blankets, and the one box, has tons of room in it.

Having that much material *unorganized* would be a pain, messy, and pretty unmanageable, and probably disgusting. As it is, thanks to well planning, I have tons of room for expansion if I wanted.

Possible expansion: My one aunt has a whole bunch of old various format 8MM movies and even home movies, been tempted to get a 8MM DUAL mode projector and add it to the basement media center, already have the slide projector on it. Once do that could ask for the movies... some of them are quite astounding... Star Wars the original 8MM release for example.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:28 pm

Case in point. I'm sorry, but I still can't picture it all, at all. :( I'm just... my mind just doesn't get it. I'm used to living in small to medium-sized homes with anywhere from 2-5 other people (and at least two cats, but that's another topic), and when you're my size you have to be careful where you put something lest you knock it over or kick it by accident.

It's not that I'm not giving organizers and such enough credit; far from it. It's all a matter of comprehension, is what I'm saying. Admittedly part of me is curious as to how they pull it off, but if it's outside my realm of understanding then I can't pin down a mental image of it, so I have that much working against me.

Anyway, what I didn't mention when I posted about my collection some time ago was that I do have a bunch of video tapes, most of them with stuff I recorded (such as Pokemon, Outlaw Star and Yu Yu Hakusho, and misc. stuff like Home Run Derbies, NBA All-Star games and the occasional movie) but some official tapes too (some Dragonball Z, Hamtaro and Zoids: New Century Zero episodes). Thing is, except for the Hamtaro tape, about 75% of them are in storage trunks in my closets. ()^_^
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:08 pm

I have the opposite problem... I see it like this... if you need to place it in a box and in storage, it is not readily accessible and viewable to you or any passer by in the house whom can see and comment on it, if have people over, whom knows, maybe they or their kids would want to see it (assuming it is viewable by family of course).

*That* is why I have little at all in my closets except clothes, and nothing in the attic... I do not want to be bothered by having to dig anything out. The only stuff I do that with is instead in a closet next to and under the basement steps that holds the Christmas tree, lights, and decorations, in which it is pointless to have that stuff out except the 2 or so months of the year it makes sense to have them out for.

And I am over 6ft so fairly large, my mom lives with me *not* the other way around, and the house is only 1100sq ft. Not super tiny like 600/700sq ft ones, but hardly huge.

I bought this house last year, and I carefully mapped out everything in advance of actually moving it in as to what would go where, how best to lay everything out for both room and visibility, and eliminated as much of the unneeded stuff before moving in as I was coming from a larger house...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:50 pm

I'm the only one in the house who watches any anime. :wink: My dad got a look at a Pizza Cats episode I saw as a kid, and he just said "well, it sure ain't Disney" and disregarded it altogether after that. So for me, having most of it in the closet is advantageous, since all I have to do is open up the door and the lid to get what I need. (And to this day, I'm thankful that my dad got me a TV for my room a decade ago. Much easier to watch it if I'm not bothering my parents. :) )
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:52 pm

Yeah, I realize it's been a few years, but I finally did what I said I was going to do and obtained KNT for my collection. Figured I may as well state that much. (Watching it now, in fact. :D )
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Anime / Manga