ALCO Store Chain Closing

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

ALCO Store Chain Closing

Postby CRBWildcat » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:24 pm

For those of you in the central USA familiar with the discount store chain ALCO, the chain declared bankruptcy not long ago and is presently in mid-liquidation.

ALCO up to this point was based primarily in smaller communities around the US, with outlets as far west as Arizona and as far east as Ohio. I liked the local store primarily because it was real easy for me to buy a Reese's chocolate bar and a six-pack of Mountain Dew on the way back to work in the afternoons.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Re: ALCO Store Chain Closing

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:27 pm

CRBWildcat wrote:For those of you in the central USA familiar with the discount store chain ALCO, the chain declared bankruptcy not long ago and is presently in mid-liquidation.

ALCO up to this point was based primarily in smaller communities around the US, with outlets as far west as Arizona and as far east as Ohio. I liked the local store primarily because it was real easy for me to buy a Reese's chocolate bar and a six-pack of Mountain Dew on the way back to work in the afternoons.

I live in Ohio... never heard of them. We have plenty of discount and dollar chain type stores though... Dollar Paradise, Dollar General, Ollies....
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:10 pm

First I've heard of it, too. Closest thing to that around here is Aldi, maybe? In name, anyway.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:43 pm

Like I said, they're a small-community type dealie; all told I don't think that there are more than 200 stores in the whole country, most of them in places that have just a few thousand people (and in close proximity to the rurals). *shrug* Until I moved out here in '07, I'd never heard of them either.

Think of a combination of Dollar General and a mini-Walmart as far as supplies are concerned, and you'll get an idea of what ALCO was like.

Yeah, ALCO and Aldi aren't quite the same thing. ()^_^ Always did love how the latter works, though.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:09 pm

Yeah... Aldi's works a bit odd, but they generally carry decent stuff, got one a few miles from me. We also have a GFS near me that just finished being built which is like a mini SAMs Club.

I'm in a town of some 3700... but am probably too close to other big towns to have one of these ALCO places.

As for myself... generally it depends on type of item:
- if buying in bulk food and household items is SAM's Club,
- if buying clothes that is K-Mart or Walmart
- if buying non-bulk food that is Walmart or GFS or Dollar General
- if buying tools or any home materials that is Home Depot
- if buying something medical related that is CVS (myself) or Walgreens (my mom)
- if buying computer supplies are Cyberguys or OfficeDepot or Best Buy
- if buying fast food that is split between Mcdonalds and Arby's
- if ordering out for delivery that is Pizza Hut, Marcos Pizza, or Gininos Pizza
- if going out that is iHop, Steak and Shake, or Applebees
- Most other purchases are either Amazon or Walmart or Best Buy.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:40 pm

...Wait, hold the phone! You've got Marco's Pizza over there?! Man, I miss that place like you wouldn't believe! :D
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby talonhunter » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:45 pm

Alco is kinda like the old Ben Franklin 5 and dimes that catered to smaller towns with slightly higher prices due to the extra cost of bringing the items into the smaller markets.
Who needs the light when the shadows are so much more...Playful

Senshi of Dione (Saturn IV)

=^*^=
Come see some of the crew here
talonhunter
Prism Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:18 pm

Pretty much, yeah. My dad described it once as a store "that is trying to be a Wal-Mart", although obviously their merchandise isn't (or wasn't, rather) anywhere near as varied or great.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Return to Other Talk