Picturing People As there Avatars?

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Picturing People As there Avatars?

Postby LunaInverse » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:30 pm

So when I'm on forums I seem to picture people as there avatars, even after I may have seen pictures or met them in person. I also seem to have this idea that there avatar is sitting in a big old style chair in front of a fireplace and they are reading allowed there posts. This seems to have a phantom audio as well and everyone seems to get a different voice. Its kind of awesome and if I could every pull this imagery out of my head and upload it to the internet I think it would make an awesome video.

So I was wondering if this happens to more than just me?
LunaInverse
Senshi Cadet

Re: Picturing People As there Avatars?

Postby Spica75 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:41 am

Not quite so vividly, but i do tend to associate avatars with people.

Which is kinda funny when my best friend is currently using Gonzo the muppet as his avatar... :mrgreen:
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Neko- » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:47 am

I'm with the 'not so vivid' :) Tho the Multiple Personality Disorder a lot of people seem to suffer from make it hard...

I could probably trip over any of you in the street, and not recognize you, unless you were wearing a badge with your avatar tho :)
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:33 am

It doesn't even occur to me to associate the avatar with the person. I might associate it with their handle if, say, "Black Dragon" used an avatar with a black dragon in it.

Otherwise, I don't have a self-image, so my avatar tends to change at my whim. My name, too, if I have the luxury. (I miss that about being an administrator. :P )
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:44 am

I picked my avatar to match my personality. For a while, I even earned my living as a mad scientist. But don't picture me in front of a fireplace. Picture me in front of a control console.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spica75 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:15 pm

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:I picked my avatar to match my personality. For a while, I even earned my living as a mad scientist. But don't picture me in front of a fireplace. Picture me in front of a control console.

It DOES suit you. :P
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Picturing People As their Avatars?

Postby J. St.C. Patrick » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:38 pm

My avatar is a drawing of me ( or at least how I looked when I drew it way back when) and accuracy depends on how generous you are. - And other than at Christmas time I don't wear a paper crown with "Stuff" written on it .

With the current forum set up I'm using here the avatars are on the right and I tend not to notice them as much as I do on other forums where they are on the left.
Director of Forum Arts and Culture
The King of... Stuff
The Ever Ubiquitous
J. St.C. Patrick
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby CRBWildcat » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:14 pm

It's a bit of a strange case with me. I'm not energetic or jerkish like Tomo Takino---at least, I hope not---and to the best of my knowledge, I don't have any of Buttercup's character traits. However, the avatar I had when I first registered here suits me better---perhaps more so now than back then.

CWildcatAvatar.jpg
Curtis Wildcat avatar
CWildcatAvatar.jpg (5.84 KiB) Viewed 9000 times

When I created Curtis, many of my traits were passed onto him: I had few social skills, if any; I didn't take well to being teased or mocked (I still don't); and my idea of a good time involved sitting still for long periods and staring out at nothing (read: excessive computer usage). Over time, my traits (and his by extension) changed to become more feline-like: I became increasingly lethargic, I ceased caring on the whole for what the world around me was up to, I started becoming more easily distracted by minor things, and my internal sarcasm increased (yeah, that's not truthfully a cat thing, but come on 8) ).

Basically what I'm saying is that if people really did think of me as a procrastinating, anthropomorphic calico cat, I wouldn't mind one bit.

I also seem to have this idea that there avatar is sitting in a big old style chair in front of a fireplace and they are reading allowed there posts. This seems to have a phantom audio as well and everyone seems to get a different voice.

I like to imagine Wildcat's voice as being a close match to the one Brian Drummond used for Vegeta. >^_^<
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Scooter » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:13 pm

Scooter is...essentially me, particularly when I self-insert. And the quote in chapter 2 of Phoenix is basically *how* I got the nickname- '...you look very Scooter-ish. From henceforth, you shall be known to all as Scooter.', except I was sitting on the back on an ambulance. If I could ever get anyone to play him, it'd be Ted Raimi.

Scooter the dragon, though, I'd love to have voiced by either Sylvester McCoy or Robin Sachs, possibly Peter Capaldi.
Oh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.

— Groucho Marx
Scooter
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby talonhunter » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:03 am

I tend to look at the avatars as the expression of ones personality, like Crescents flipflopery, Lio's stoic irreverence, Konoko's evolving forms, and even DES' caricature ishnes...(Reminds me of the abominable snow man from Bugs Bunny cartoons). And I see Curtis as more a tiger striped ocelot in the calico colors. Some of the characters are with us for short periods and disappear not to be heard from again where others Come and go like the seasons, each to their own pattern or whims. Sometimes the voices come thru the persona used, other times they are like a quiet storm waiting for the moment to explode and sometimes never doing so
Last edited by talonhunter on Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who needs the light when the shadows are so much more...Playful

Senshi of Dione (Saturn IV)

=^*^=
Come see some of the crew here
talonhunter
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:12 am

A flip-flopper, that's me. That's why I never change from being a flip-flopper. :P
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:44 pm

I don't know of too many ocelots with tiny noses, but I like the mental image regardless. >^_^<

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:A flip-flopper, that's me. That's why I never change from being a flip-flopper. :P

Channeling reverse ideology in your own way for as long as I've known you. Clever. :mrgreen:
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:40 pm

What can I say? I wear the naked truth on my sleeve. Fittingly, I suppose one could say that my self-image lies in my lack of such.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:40 pm

...Okay, not a mental image I really needed. :|
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:54 pm

It's your own fault for translating what I said poorly. 8)
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Return to Other Talk