RIP Albert Uderzo

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

RIP Albert Uderzo

Postby J. St.C. Patrick » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:12 pm

Albert Uderzo co-creator of Asterix the Gaul has passed away at 92.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-52016721

Along with The Adventures of Tintin, the Asterix books formed a big part of my childhood comic book collection.

Here's a crossover picture I made sometime ago with Ryouga meeting Asterix and trying to avoid becoming dinner.
Attachments
Ryoga vs Asterix 30pc.jpg
Director of Forum Arts and Culture
The King of... Stuff
The Ever Ubiquitous
J. St.C. Patrick
Moon Cat Advisor

Re: RIP Albert Uderzo

Postby Neko- » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:35 am

I wasn't aware Asterix was all that much known in the US too.

The comics are now drawn by a younger artist, but the legacy will live on. RIP
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:44 pm

He will be missed.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby J. St.C. Patrick » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:05 am

Neko- wrote:I wasn't aware Asterix was all that much known in the US too.

I don't know about the US, but here in Canada we got the English translations through WH Smith (a British bookstore chain that had stores all over Canada)
In my highschool the library had the original French versions of Asterix, Tintin, and something called Les Schtroumpfs (this was before they were translated and had their TV series in the US)
The King of... Stuff
The Ever Ubiquitous
J. St.C. Patrick
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby Neko- » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:57 am

Smurfs is a staple of the youth here too :)
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:03 am

I don't know about the US, but here in Canada we got the English translations through WH Smith (a British bookstore chain that had stores all over Canada)
In my highschool the library had the original French versions of Asterix, Tintin, and something called Les Schtroumpfs (this was before they were translated and had their TV series in the US)

I can add that i even have some of Uderzo's "Tanguy et Laverdure" comic books. Published in Swedish as the series Jaktfalkarna(The fighting falcons), 2nd edition switched to Jetpiloterna(the jet pilots). Apparently the series was even made into a TV series in the late 60s(which i have never seen at all).

Really starting to run out of the classical big Franco/Belgian comics names. :cry:
I know Leloup(Yoko Tsuno books) is still active, but of those i know he seems to be rather alone in that.

Just noted that just 12 of 62 books of Bluecoats have been translated to English. And i thought it was bad here where we have 24 of them. :-/
The creators, Cauvin/Lambil are still alive, but retired.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Neko- » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:45 am

Well, Asterix is still having new adventures drawn up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix

Kind of what happened with Suske and Wiske (which is also Belgian, has a big fanbase here, but is probably unknown in the USA): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_and_Suzy

Those albums are still drawn, depite their creator being deceased already. Torch has moved on to new artists.
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:46 pm

Neko- wrote:Well, Asterix is still having new adventures drawn up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix

Kind of what happened with Suske and Wiske (which is also Belgian, has a big fanbase here, but is probably unknown in the USA): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_and_Suzy

Those albums are still drawn, depite their creator being deceased already. Torch has moved on to new artists.

Not as good as the original Asterix, but they're not bad at least and the style is at least close to the original both graphically and in humor.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby J. St.C. Patrick » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:06 pm

I have one of the newer books which was published in 2017 - Asterix and the Chariot Race - where a Roman character has the now timely name Coronavirus.

Thinking back on my highschool library, in the French section they also had a couple of Spirou adventures and some Lucky Luke, too.
Attachments
Asterix & the Chariot Race - Coronavirus.jpg
Coronavirus!
The King of... Stuff
The Ever Ubiquitous
J. St.C. Patrick
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby Neko- » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:26 pm

Got that book here too... got it when it came out. just havent read it yet :P
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:54 pm

J. St.C. Patrick wrote:I have one of the newer books which was published in 2017 - Asterix and the Chariot Race - where a Roman character has the now timely name Coronavirus.

Ooookay. If my Dad hadn't just now told me that the term "Coronavirus" itself has been around a while, I would've said that name would've been prophetic. :o
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:30 pm

CRBWildcat wrote:
Ooookay. If my Dad hadn't just now told me that the term "Coronavirus" itself has been around a while, I would've said that name would've been prophetic. :o

The term is a gross oversimplification(as always in the media nowadays, *sigh*(at least it isn't a complete falsification)). Covid19 is IIRC caused by a specific strain of the Corona-beta GROUP of viruses. So, there's like dozens of strains, several groups and probably hundreds of variations considering that genetic sequencing of less than just 500 cases on Iceland showed 40 different variations of Covid19.
The previous SARS for example is ALSO a "Coronavirus".
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Other Talk