Dare you enter my magical re-- I mean, blind run my WAD?

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Dare you enter my magical re-- I mean, blind run my WAD?

Postby Cheb » Mon May 18, 2020 1:46 pm

Long story short: back in 1996 I made a single-map WAD for Doom 1 full of devious traps. It sucked but it had potential so I unearthed it yesterday, fixed and polished it up to match modern standards. Here it is: http://chebmaster.com/downloads/chekaizo.zip

Dare you make a blind run trough it and survive it without reloads? :mrgreen:

-----------------------------------------------------------
CHEKAIZO.WAD

by: ChebMaster

Requires: DooM or Ultimate DooM.

Game type: Tricks and traps, there are maybe 60 monsters on ultra violence. The traps *are* survivable on a blind run but you need very fast thinking outside the box and lots of spare health.

Replaces: E1M1 (just start a new game in the Knee-deep in the dead episode).

Compatibility: May or may not work in vanilla (never tested). I play-tested it using Zandronum, both with Brutal Doom v21 and in vanilla mode.

Speedrunning time: 4:10 (I suck at speedrunning)

Initially created in early 1996 (somewhere between February and April, I think) on an actual 25MHz 80386 with 4Megabytes RAM and no sound card. The editor used was a beta version of DoomEd for Windows 3.1 (see https://doomwiki.org/wiki/DoomEd_4.2 ). The damn thing kept crashing every 10 minutes or so, I must have had epic patience back then. And yet, my creativity was cut short: the editor hit a sector limit or something, so I was unable to go further due to guaranteed crashes.

In May 2020 I reworked and pimped this map out using GZDoom Builder 2.3.

The list of changes:
- *More* pinkies on ultra violence. Now even with Brutal Doom there are decidedly more pinkies than you have bullets. You shall not pass without finding that poorly hidden ammo stash.
- Redid one trap that was only working when playing using PC speaker (spectres only make sounds when you have an actual sound card - I didn't know that back in 1996)
- Mercilessly cut dark and convoluted labyrinths short. No, it is *not* fun searching for your way through dark corridors not showing on map. It's plain bad design.
- Redestributed the imps freed from the liquidated labyrinths to make many one-imp surprises. These are *not* showing on the map, heh.
- Redesigned key elements to use conventional design: doors requiring a key are marked, the mysterious button and the passage it opened replaced with a key and a clearly marked door (no, it is *not* fun and exciting to search through a maze of twisting dark passages, all alike, not knowing what that button did).
- For the red-hot corridor (it hurts) that passes next to the end of a lava fissure, made the fissure cross it in an obvious way. Better and obvious this way.
- Fixed texturing in a lot of places, made cosmetic changes to the underground hall and outdoors areas.
- Reworked my masterpiece of a *truly diabolic* Kaizo trap using knowledge gained in those decades. Now does not rely on confusing the player in a maze of twisting dark passages, all alike, not showing on map. Now everything *does* show on map, which makes the trap so much more devious :D
- Due to changes in the map imposed by that trap, the player returning with the red key now goes a different route. Which now serves as yet another Kaizo trap if you were too cautious with barrels. Barrels are fun! :D
- Reworked the remaining Kaizo traps to be survivable if the player pays attention.
- Added one more Kaizo trap by copy-pasting it from my other, too-artsy WAD (making which I failed spring exams and had to repeat my third year in the university - thank you Dad for putting up with my foolishness, so that I am who I am instead of being reduced to fertilizer in Chechnya)
- Added beefier monsters to serve as a final boss of sorts (hint: it's two cacoes on hurt me plenty. So big and scary!)
Last edited by Cheb on Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Re: Dare you enter my magical re-- I mean, blind run my WAD?

Postby Spica75 » Mon May 18, 2020 8:03 pm

For something like this i almost wish that i DID actually PLAY Doom(i just get motion sick).

About the closest thing i've played is probably the Crusader series, which supposedly holds the title for "most inventive ways you and NPCs can die":
https://youtu.be/rUnvNTvHMnQ?t=295
The difference to level of opposition later in game is severe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3on89w4rws
The fixed defenses and robots(both of which you can sometimes control), traps, cameras and hidden sensors gets quite nasty.

1st game soundtrack is also excellent.

Anyway, seems like you've been busy being evil. :mrgreen:
Lets hope we can get a guinea pig, i mean brave volunteer, to check it out!
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Tue May 19, 2020 3:46 am

About the closest thing i've played is probably the Crusader series,

That game was made when...?! :shock: I heard Fallout devs talking about it being a major annoyance during their game's development.
And yet it has crouching behind cover, sidestepping while aiming and side rolls...
Just wow.

i just get motion sick

:(
Well, here's the map I've played recently (a combination of an insanely hard megawad Sunlust.wad with the Brutal Doom mod that makes everything 10 times harder):
(NSFW times twenty! Gore!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGBIB_cBtyc
Unlike that youtuber, I was playing single player, so no respawning megahealth, no infinite BFG refills, with jumping disabled so I could not get out of kill zones that way, and I absolutely had not to die.
I shamelessly admit of save scumming, I saved five or six times during my play. :roll:
Because, deeper into that map... Six cybedremons at once. Six, Carl! :lol:
P.P.S. Especially
(NSFW times twenty! Gore!) this room, without dying. So many retries... :cry: But I made it through! 8)

Lets hope we can get a guinea pig, i mean brave volunteer, to check it out!

Yess! Yess!!! MWA-HA--AHEM... Welcome to try, folks :mrgreen: I guarantee my WAD is much tighter, with much less monsters.

P.S. Why I remembered that wad of mine and bothered to finish it: I just learned that John Romero had released a fifth episode of DooM 1 last year, titled SIGIL.WAD
The readme of that mod contains the most epic "Like a boss" I've ever seen: "Author: John Romero; {...] Other works by author: doom.wad, doom2.wad,..."
That is what "like a boss" looks like :D
His maps are so brutal: very little monsters but their placement so nasty and the environment so hazardous! Aaah... :oops:
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:53 am

That game was made when...?! :shock:

Yeah, 1996 IIRC, with the sequel in 1997. There was apparently another 2-3 sequels planned, but the developers had issues and it stopped with 2nd game.

It's like mixing the perspective style of Last Ninja series with the tactical subgame of Covert Action. Or maybe the X-Com series.
:)

I heard Fallout devs talking about it being a major annoyance during their game's development.

Lol, never heard that before! Amusing. :P

And yet it has crouching behind cover, sidestepping while aiming and side rolls...
Just wow.

Oh yeah, and an environment that is highly interactive, if you mod the weapons to do more damage and have endless ammo, you can destroy a lot of additional walls and stuff. Almost everything is rated for how much damage it can resist and how much it takes to break it. Of course, even with the unmodded game, if you run around shooting too much explosives in the wrong places, like on those walkways above the toxic sludge, it is perfectly possible to make it impossible to do anything but restart(though i think that can only happen on highest or 2 highest difficulties).

Jumping is about the only move that isn't smooth. Side rolling back and forth in and out of danger was my preferred tactic, even if you only got off 1-2 shots each time, unless there were several enemies, they often hit you a lot less.

And while the cutscene quality isn't great, getting that kind of addition to the story for a game on a Pentium was an absolute marvel at the time.
Definitely a game ahead of its time.

The readme of that mod contains the most epic "Like a boss" I've ever seen: "Author: John Romero; {...] Other works by author: doom.wad, doom2.wad,..."
That is what "like a boss" looks like :D
His maps are so brutal: very little monsters but their placement so nasty and the environment so hazardous! Aaah... :oops:

:mrgreen:
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sat May 23, 2020 4:18 pm

Update: reworked porting the map to the UDMF format (was a pain, had to retexture everything for doom2 and re-set and re-check all the triggers) to use modern source port mechanics.

(the link stays the same)

Now requires doom2 and looks much, much prettier. Open air spaces opening into fir forests abound.

- Added beefier monsters to serve as a final boss of sorts (aint we lowe revenants)
- New version: added slippery ice bridges over deadly abyss :mrgreen:
- New version: reworked the red key room
- New version added spruce forest and breathtaking vista.

Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Cheb » Wed May 27, 2020 2:59 pm

Dammit, I was too lazy to test it in vanilla mode (without Brutal DooM) and I didn't know my sky wasn't even working without BD.

Fixed, play-tested, made even prettier (the link stays the same).
New screenshot: http://chebmaster.com/_share/chekaizo_fixed.png
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:41 pm

Dammit, I was too lazy to test it in vanilla mode (without Brutal DooM) and I didn't know my sky wasn't even working without BD.

:mrgreen:

The "should be blatantly obvious" whoopsies, that oh so often is VERY sneaky. :P
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Thu May 28, 2020 1:54 am

Yeah. Especially with the bazillion of options and variations the Doom source ports are infested with like roaches. :oops: They have to keep backwards compatibility with every map ever made and every hack of the engines of yore they rely upon.

Did you know there are *two* auto-aim items in the options menu ("smart autoaim" and "allow autoaim") and Brutal Doom won't work korrectly unless you turn *both* the fudge off?
Namely, the tank machinegun and revenant missile launcher auto-lock at any tree, car or pile of rubble in front of you, making them nigh useless. With the tank machinegun its even worse because it auto-aims at the monsters feet and keeps hitting ground, unable to kill an imp in plain sight.
All because you've missed that second auto-aim option :x
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Fri May 29, 2020 3:59 pm

Did you know there are *two* auto-aim items in the options menu ("smart autoaim" and "allow autoaim") and Brutal Doom won't work korrectly unless you turn *both* the fudge off?
Namely, the tank machinegun and revenant missile launcher auto-lock at any tree, car or pile of rubble in front of you, making them nigh useless. With the tank machinegun its even worse because it auto-aims at the monsters feet and keeps hitting ground, unable to kill an imp in plain sight.

:lol:

Completely by random, i happened to stumble onto a mod for original XCOM, and it's crazy enough that i just had to post it here.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/0 ... x-piratez/
And because of this "Almost all of Doom’s monsters show up as an increasingly prevalent demonic faction, while many of the ‘Humanist’ space-Nazis are lifted straight from the Wolfenstein games."

:P
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sat May 30, 2020 1:50 pm

Update #2

- prettified a lot, dense forest all around on cliff tops, even above tunnel entrances. On my potato of a laptop, FPS dropped from 240+ to ~80. Incredibly powerful technique, that, but awfully stifling. You can only use it as the final prettifying step, won't be able to modify the outdoor areas afterwards.
- exploiting the fact that UDMF format allows for rotating and shifting floor and ceiling textures, aligned the oldest area, the underground hall, straightening walls and aligning textures.
- reworked the yellow key area entrance into a cleverly disguised pit trap with collapsing floor and surprise imp buttsecks.
- added more one-monster surprises to the secret entrance. Now is a proper endurance grind. You may run out of ammo.
- on UV changed select shotgunners into nazis, which Brutal Doom substitutes with evil marines. Nasty bastards, dart around and dodge-roll like weasels on crack. One of the Kaizo trap became truly diabolic with their inclusion. You will NOT survive. Even after I halved the crusher damage.

P.S. I wanted to make some appropriately placed ambush imps yell "SURPRISE BUTTSECKS!" when they see you but I ran out of steam. Doable but too much bother scripting and debugging that.

P.P.S. In Brutal Doom imps can blow explosive barrels with their melee attack up if they miss you. My cleverly placed "barrel right behind the door with imp right behind the barrel" is so much more effective with BD :mrgreen:

i happened to stumble onto a mod for original XCOM, and it's crazy enough that i just had to post it here.

Oooh, thank you! :D
Definitely on my to be played list (in the autumn, when work abates and after I buy and play "Shantae and seven sirens").
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sun May 31, 2020 11:17 pm

*lol*

You're SERIOUSLY trying to get any players to curse at you... :lol:
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:53 pm

I do.
I definitely do :roll:
I work on making it BETTER but work is slow, in spare time:
Code: Select all
bool HaveGloated[CHE_MAX_GLOATS];
bool NowGloating = FALSE;
int PlayerProgress = 0;
//int VodooDollHealth = 100;
bool FoundMegasphere = FALSE;
function void Gloat(int num) {
   if (HaveGloated[num] || NowGloating) return;
   NowGloating = TRUE;
   SetFont("BIGFONT");
   SetHudSize(800, 600, 0);
   switch (num) {
      case GLOAT_WELCOME:
         HudMessage(s:"So you dare enter my magical realm, huh?\n\nLook at you, so full of yourself,\nhoping to SURVIVE...";
            HUDMSG_LOG | HUDMSG_TYPEON, 0, CR_RED, 80.1, 480.0,
            9.0, 0.01, 1.0);
         break;
      case GLOAT_VOODOO_SEE:
         HudMessage(s:"See that thing over there?\nIt is called vodoo doll.\n\nIf it is hurt, you take damage.\n\nGuess what would happen when you get there, hmm?\nWe'll see.";
            15, 0.01, 1.0);
         break;
/*      case GLOAT_VOODOHIT:
         HudMessage(s:"FOOL!\n\nThat thing over there?\nIt is called vodoo doll.\n\nIt dies, you die.";
            9.0, 0.01, 1.0);
         break;
      case GLOAT_VOODODED:
         HudMessage(s:"I guess you were too stupid\nto keep the voodoo doll alive...";
            9.0, 0.01, 1.0);
         break;
*/
      case GLOAT_FAKE_TELEPORTER:
         HudMessage(s:"HILARIOUS!\n\nSo much struggle and hardship, so much EFFORT\nand then you fall for this PAINFULLY OBVIOUS fake teleporter?\n\nMy inner asshole is feeling so warm and fuzzy inside!";
            15.0, 0.01, 1.0);
         break;
      case GLOAT_DIED_AT_START:
         HudMessage(s:"You are so pathetic it's boring.\n\n\Have you slipped on something, hmm?\n\nGo, run save scum now.";
            9.0, 0.01, 1.0);
         break;
      case GLOAT_REACHING_BLUE_CARD:
         HudMessage(s:"Aren't you resourceful?\n\nAll right, grab the blue card, see if I care.\n\nGo on, pick it up!\nIt is right in front of you.\n\nWhat could go wrong?";
            HUDMSG_LOG | HUDMSG_TYPEON, 0, CR_BLUE, 80.1, 480.0,
            15.0, 0.01, 1.0);
         break;
      case GLOAT_BLUE_CARD_KAIZO:
         HudMessage(s:"What, indeed...?\n\nYou are as observant as a dead skunk.\n\nSo transparent, so obvious... And you failed to see\nwhat was right in front of your eyes!";
            HUDMSG_LOG | HUDMSG_TYPEON, 0, CR_WHITE, 80.1, 480.0,
            15.0, 0.01, 1.0);
         break;
      case GLOAT_FIRST_STOMACH:
         HudMessageBold(s:"Squirm, you fool, scream your frustration\nwhile digestive juices decompose you to nutrients!\n\nDid you think there would be no traps\non your return path?";
            HUDMSG_LOG | HUDMSG_TYPEON, 0, CR_GREEN, 80.1, 360.0,
            15.0, 0.01, 0.05);
         break;
      case GLOAT_SECOND_STOMACH:
         HudMessageBold(s:"Haha, how stupid you are, falling into the second stomach\nafter avoiding the first one?\n\nNow splash around in this sack of squirmy flesh!";
            HUDMSG_LOG | HUDMSG_TYPEON, 0, CR_GREEN, 80.1, 360.0,
            15.0, 0.01, 0.05);
         break;
      case GLOAT_HALL:
         HudMessageBold(s:"Such a nice hall... This whole labyrinth began from it back in 1996.\n\nWonder what it hides?";
            15.0, 0.01, 0.05);
         break;
      case GLOAT_SECRET:
         HudMessageBold(s:"So you have found where my secret ammo stockpile is.\n\nBut will you survive its guardians?";
            15.0, 0.01, 0.05);
         break;
      case GLOAT_BARRELS:
         HudMessageBold(s:"BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!";
            HUDMSG_LOG | HUDMSG_TYPEON, 0, CR_YELLOW, 80.1, 480.0,
            9.0, 0.01, 0.05);
         break;
      case GLOAT_SPECTRES:
         HudMessageBold(s:"Dying to mere spectres in the dark? Really?";
            HUDMSG_LOG | HUDMSG_TYPEON, 0, CR_WHITE, 80.1, 480.0,
            9.0, 0.01, 0.05);
         break;
      case GLOAT_ICE_DED:
         HudMessageBold(s:"You are so clumsy it is disgusting.";
            9.0, 0.01, 0.05);
         break;
      case GLOAT_ICE_MOCK:
         HudMessageBold(s:"Are you palms sweaty now?\n\nYou got the shiny red skull, you only have to bring it back.\nCarefully. Without slipping.";
            15.0, 0.01, 0.05);
         break;
      case GLOAT_BARRELS_DOUBLE_TRAP:
         HudMessageBold(s:"FOOL!\n\nYou kept the barrels intact,\nnow my loyal imp will see to setting them off around your ass!\n\nTHERE IS NO ESCAPE!";
            9.0, 0.01, 0.05);
         break;
      case GLOAT_MISSED_MEGASPHERE:
         HudMessageBold(s:"Ahaha, you had missed the megasphere!\nIt is too late now, there is no way back there.";
            9.0, 0.01, 0.05);
         break;
      case GLOAT_RED_SKULL_EHXAUSTION:
         HudMessageBold(s:"You are almost there. Right...? Right...?\n\nWrong, you simpleton! Your health is too low,\nthere are no more med-kits ahead, only grueling challenges.\n\nYou are doomed to fail.";
            9.0, 0.01, 0.05);
         break;
      case GLOAT_ENDBOSS:
         HudMessageBold(s:"You almost made it! Why did you have to die?\nThis final ambush was pathetic - I guess you are even more so.\n\nDid you think this ice is merely decoration, without further sinister purpose?";
            9.0, 0.01, 0.05);
         break;

/*
      case :
         HudMessageBold(s:"";
            9.0, 0.01, 0.05);
         break;

*/
      default:
         HudMessageBold(s:"ERROR, UNKNOWN GLOATING";
            HUDMSG_LOG | HUDMSG_TYPEON, 0, CR_RED, 80.1, 360.0,
            9.0, 0.01, 0.05);
   }
   HaveGloated[num] = TRUE;
   ACS_ExecuteAlways(10, 0); // reset gloating after a delay
}

SCRIPT 10 (void)
// reset gloating
{
   Delay(10 * 35);
   NowGloating = FALSE;
}

SCRIPT "UrDed" DEATH
// player dies. Gloat!
{
   while (NowGloating) {
      delay(70); // do not miss any post-mortem gloats
   }

switch (PlayerProgress) {
      case 0:
         Gloat(GLOAT_DIED_AT_START);
         break;
      case 70:
         if (!ThingCount(0, 49)) {
            // TID 49 explosive barrels on the near end of the area
            Gloat(GLOAT_BARRELS);
         }
         break;
      case 150:
         Gloat(GLOAT_SPECTRES);
         break;
      case 140:
      case 151:
         Gloat(GLOAT_ICE_DED);
         break;
      case 241:
         Gloat(GLOAT_BLUE_CARD_KAIZO);
         break;
      case 245:
         Gloat(GLOAT_ENDBOSS);
         break;
      case 255:
         Gloat(GLOAT_FAKE_TELEPORTER);
         break;

}

}

SCRIPT 12(int newstage, int onlyafter)
// advance plot progression stage on crossing various linedefs
{
   if (PlayerProgress < onlyafter) Terminate;
   if (PlayerProgress >= newstage) Terminate;
   PlayerProgress = newstage;
   switch (newstage) {
      case 2:
      case 230:
         Gloat(GLOAT_VOODOO_SEE);
         break;
      case 151:
         Gloat(GLOAT_ICE_MOCK);
         break;
      // Can only trigger these two if already fell in.
      // Called from here instead of ondeath because dying to stomach acid is slow
      //   and gloating in the background improves my smugness
      case 161:
         Gloat(GLOAT_FIRST_STOMACH);
         break;
      case 171:
         Gloat(GLOAT_SECOND_STOMACH);
         break;

case 240:
         Gloat(GLOAT_REACHING_BLUE_CARD);
         break;
   }
}

SCRIPT "CheFoundMegasphere" (void) {
   FoundMegasphere = TRUE;
}

SCRIPT "CheFoundAmmoStash" (void) {
   Gloat(GLOAT_SECRET);
}

SCRIPT 1 ENTER
// player connects
{
   // voodo doll container (teleports to its designed position, gives player assault rifle)
   // because pistol start is not survivable.
   Scroll_Floor(68, 0, 16, CARRY);

delay(100);
   Gloat(GLOAT_WELCOME);

while (TRUE) {
      switch (PlayerProgress) {
//         case 1:
//            int vddh = GetActorProperty(VODOO_TID, APROP_Health);
//print(s:"voodoo health=",d:vddh);
//delay(35);
// Darn, it's always zero
// I guess ACS script cannot see voodoo dolls.
// I tried passing it through a linedef to run a script on it but that did not work either
//            if (vddh < 100) Gloat(GLOAT_VOODOHIT);
//            break;
      case 181:
         if (GetActorZ(ActivatorTID()) > 580.0) {
            PlayerProgress = 182;
            // TID 48 explosive barrels on the far end of the area
            if (ThingCount(0, 48) > 0 && (!FoundMegasphere || GetActorProperty(ActivatorTID(), APROP_Health) < 80)) {
               Gloat(GLOAT_BARRELS_DOUBLE_TRAP);
            } else if (!FoundMegasphere)  {
               Gloat(GLOAT_MISSED_MEGASPHERE);
            } else if (GetActorProperty(ActivatorTID(), APROP_Health) < 80) {
               Gloat(GLOAT_RED_SKULL_EHXAUSTION);
            }
         }
         break;
      case 200:
         if (GetActorProperty(ActivatorTID(), APROP_Health) < 80) {
            Gloat(GLOAT_RED_SKULL_EHXAUSTION);
         }
         break;
      }

delay(3);
   }
}

..wait until you hear my voice acting that will come at the stage after that :mrgreen:
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:07 am

Update #3:

- now won't run without Brutal Doom (autoloads brutalv21.pk3 if present but you can manually specify any other version)
- added an extensive gloating system where I mock you for your failures as befitting a proper evil Dungeon Master. I plan to voice-act these two dozen pieces eventually.
- made the map into a stand-alone one-map episode. "Cheb's Dare" Should be listed below "Brutal deathmatch".
- some ambush imps replaced with special ones scripted to attack instantly, with zero reaction time. Mostly those stationed right behind a barrel right beyond a corner or in hidden alcoves that open behind you unexpectedly.
- prettified the short convoluted passage full of imp ambushes and changed its shape so it is much harder to notice them before they bite you in the ass. Also, curved that bend just so that all three would see you at once and dogpile you.
- made the slippery ice bridge over deadly abyss much narrower, with sharper turns.
- added stomach acid to the stomach traps.
- made the second stomach trap inescapable and upgraded it with an extra surprise that facilitates you falling into if you stop to gawk.
- updated the barrels surprize so that monsters come after you and you can avoid the great badaboom by sniping them. This only makes your situation worse, mind you.
- fixed the bug introduced by the sky portals: some secret openings were showing on map before you can see them.
- upgraded the ambushes on the path to the great weapon stash to be more nasty, misleading and deadly.
- modified the starting area adding a window through which you could observe (and shoot) your vodoo doll
- added a fourth secret, contains bfg 10k and railgun.
- tidied up the ammo stash room. Now everything is placed on shelves instead of being piled on the floor.
- added thin sight-blocking sectors in the void so that you won't see secrets if camera goes through a wall due to shaking, fatality, deathcam or other BD effect
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Return to Other Talk