Memories of an Auburn Hills palace

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Memories of an Auburn Hills palace

Postby CRBWildcat » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:10 pm

The Palace of Auburn Hills, the former home of the NBA's Detroit Pistons, is scheduled to be imploded this weekend. Demolition has been ongoing for a while, but this will put an end to it.

I was able to attend three games there while I still lived in Michigan. Two Pistons games several years before they became a championship contender--I want to say one of them was against the Los Angeles Lakers, but don't quote me on that--and one Detroit Shock (WNBA) game, long before they became known as the Dallas Wings. That last one's the only time I ever saw Bill Laimbeer in person, since he was coaching the team at the time. I don't remember much of the games themselves, but no one caused any trouble and I enjoyed myself on the whole.

I find it irritating, personally. The facility wasn't even that old; construction on it was finished back in 1988, and it still had pretty much everything the team needed. The only real point against it was that it was part of a northern suburb of Detroit as opposed to the city proper, but personally I don't think that should've been enough of an incentive to demolish it. Instead of just toughing it out, they put the Pistons in the same building as the NHL's Red Wings: exactly the same situation they were stuck in back in the 1970s, meaning that they're juggling schedules again. Le sigh...

Oh, well. Complaints aside, it was nice while it lasted. I don't have the same memories of the Palace as I did of the Silverdome, but the place was still easy on the eyes. And for those that were there, the memories of championships well-earned will be in their memories for the rest of their lives. 8)
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Re: Memories of an Auburn Hills palace

Postby Spica75 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:03 pm

I find it irritating, personally. The facility wasn't even that old; construction on it was finished back in 1988, and it still had pretty much everything the team needed. The only real point against it was that it was part of a northern suburb of Detroit as opposed to the city proper, but personally I don't think that should've been enough of an incentive to demolish it. Instead of just toughing it out, they put the Pistons in the same building as the NHL's Red Wings: exactly the same situation they were stuck in back in the 1970s, meaning that they're juggling schedules again. Le sigh...

Annoying when they do stupid crap like that.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Other Talk