On a Clear Day You Can See Forever (ranma/sailor moon)

Talk about all other fanfictions in this forum.

Postby iiradned » Mon May 12, 2008 12:03 am

dogbertcarroll wrote:I'll be avoiding it because it says Ranko Satome. I've never been fond of Ranko fics. They really should just use an OC or an SI and be done with it.

Spoiler Warning for those who have read any of the The Shadow Chronicles. (Highlight the quoted space below to read the spoiler.)

In Cast a Long Shadow there are two Ranmas. One who is staying at the Tendos and another who is a traveler from an alternate universe. Both are physically the same and have the same curse. In order to avoid confusion the "visiting" Ranma is addressed as Ranko.

End Spoiler Warning.
iiradned
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Uldihaa » Mon May 12, 2008 12:08 am

dogbertcarroll wrote:You mean this isn't a thinly veiled 'female-Ranma locked for no reason' with no hope of being male again, despite the amount of magic we've seen, decides that being male was overrated and she loves the new her?

While Ranma is never 'turned girl', he does spend a great deal of time female; though that's mainly due to the fact that it seems to be something of a rain season in the fic. There's also the fact that all of the Senshi are at least bi, with Rei preferring women. Minako is, by her own admission, a nympho who doesn't really care what sex her partner/s are at the time :wink:

It's pretty strongly hinted at that 'Ranko' continues using the name to avoid getting involved with the 'native' Ranma (if there is one) of whatever world he happens to be on.

If you do decide to read it, I'd recommend reading Cast a Long Shadow first. The events are alluded to in On a Clear Day but not in any great detail. There are several events that happen in On a Clear Day that the characters don't realize are significant until much later, but that a reader who has read at least Cast a Long Shadow would recognize.

The series as a whole is quite dark, though On a Clear Day adds a rather large dose of sensuality to the mix.
Uldihaa
Senshi Cadet

Postby dogbertcarroll » Mon May 12, 2008 12:13 am

Meh, read the first chapter. It's a strange world and they keep dancing around what's actually going on and we have Ranma angsting over Akane. I think I'll give it a pass.

It is one of the better written fics I'll admit, but not to my tastes.
dogbertcarroll
Senshi Cadet

Postby Cheb » Mon May 12, 2008 1:25 am

and they keep dancing around what's actually going on

The first *four* chapters are just an introduction.
After that, things get very dramatic very fast.
There is also a lot of action ahead.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Raneko » Mon May 12, 2008 3:21 am

Trust me you have no idea what your missing.

Just jump too chapter 5 where ranma meets Rei and Minako at the train station and kill a salmander then things really start picking up.
Raneko
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Mon May 12, 2008 4:38 am

Yeah, it's a great fic. Trust me. Although I'm generally not a fan of dark or angsty fics this one of the few exceptions.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Raneko » Wed May 28, 2008 7:55 am

Chapter 22 is up.
twio updates in one year!!
TWO UPDATES IN ONE MONTH!!!

Quick some call the Vataican it's a MIRCALE!!
Raneko
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Wed May 28, 2008 10:00 am

An extremely satisfying chapter, as a lot of loose threads from the previous chapters were resolved.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Wed May 28, 2008 11:33 am

Haven't read it yet. Is there finally something going on between Ranma and Minako or do we still have to wait?
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Metroidvania » Wed May 28, 2008 12:12 pm

Dumbledork wrote:Haven't read it yet. Is there finally something going on between Ranma and Minako or do we still have to wait?

It's getting there...but for some reason, Mark's treating it as secondary at this point. I'm sure it'll keep continuing, but in the meantime.....well worth the wait for this chapter. Tons of stuff happening.
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Appointed "Universal Translator" by Cyber_Skaarj on July 22, 2006
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Raneko » Wed May 28, 2008 3:14 pm

It just wouldn't be a ranma fic if he did attract a lot of female attenion.

Poor ranma, now he has Minako, Rei(not to mention phobos and Deimos), and the surviving sisters of shadow after him now.
Raneko
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Andy2kk » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:25 pm

With this I might want to see Ranma end up with V, but I just can't see it working. Ranma still gets jealous when he see her flirting with girls/guys or any creature really. She could never really be happy just being with Ranma. I think Ranma could deal with her shagging the other senshi, but that wouldn't be enough for V. She's too much of a free spirit aka bicycle of Sanei to stick one or 8... 9 (how many Senshi are there again?) people. Ranma's a one woman person in this fic (at least from what I can tell), V is typical of Sanei. Like I said I would like to see them end up together; maybe with Mars on occation. They'd be happy for a while, but like I said it wouldn't last. I'd like to see this end with Ranma heading out in to the big wild multiverse, like a never ending journey.
Andy2kk
Senshi Cadet

Postby Gaming Ikari » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:04 am

This is probably one of my favourites. I've read the entire series through several times, and a friend of mine knows enough about how much I like the series that she got me a print-version of the story up to Chapter 21 to read whenever I'm on a roadtrip or whatever.

It's also one of the few stories for which I've done fanart. I wouldn't open it if you've not read the latest chapter, as it contains a spoiler for the end-of-chapter fight.

Fanart!
Gaming Ikari
Senshi Cadet

Previous

Return to Fiction Discussion