Curious about what happened here...

Talk about various bits of technology (both hardware and software) here. Also used for troubleshooting and other problems.

Curious about what happened here...

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:23 am

I decided to take a break from writing and check for something new to read, when -- in the story -- I saw some of the italics looked wonky while others were normal. You can check the image below to see what I'm talking about. I'm kind of wondering how that happened, since it's the first time I saw it like that.

EDIT: Huh. When I went back to continue the story, the italics fixed themselves. O_o

EDIT the second: Encountered it again. Scrolling did nothing, so I decided to switch to another tab in my window, and when I went back... Italics fixed. :?

weirditalics.jpg
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Re: Curious about what happened here...

Postby Spica75 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:15 am

Might be either graphics card or Windows trying to do antialiasing, ie "smoothing things out"(and failing horribly for some reason), shouldn´t do it so unevenly but it´s at least possible.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:40 pm

Such things are usually optimized to no end to decrease unnecessary CPU/video system load, using lazy redraw when scrolling and so on. Sometimes this does not fit perfectly, or the font subsystem renders the text slightly differently each time. Or directdraw errs a pixel. Or there is a rounding error in your word processor.

You scrolled -- it repainted only a half of the line, but differently for some reason -- voila.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:45 am

Huh. I wonder if I should be worried, since it only started doing this after having this computer for a year and a half, and the only recent, notable change that I've made to anything in the past few months was upgrading NoScript (which, after doing so, made certain text/graphics (I'm not sure which) appear properly, instead of being small boxes with numbers and letters in them).
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:40 am

Nowadays, javascript is used to improve visual quality by loading fonts and changing the way text renders. Text may look different with javascript disabled. Examples are fanfiction.net and php.net.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:47 am

Cheb wrote:Nowadays, javascript is used to improve visual quality by loading fonts and changing the way text renders. Text may look different with javascript disabled. Examples are fanfiction.net and php.net.

Ugh... I dislike reading on-line or in browsers. Whenever possible I read fan fiction in a text editor, I prefer it to HTML and on-line browsers. It gives me a standardized mono-space font to read by with none of the overhead of HTML.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Tech